Books

Saturday, March 8, 2008

To Be or Not To Be a Blog...

This is my first entry to my linkingfamilies blog. I am looking forward to sharing insights, announcements and research tips to help those interested in family history with a technology twist. Family History has been a passion of mine since 1996. One year after having my first child I was bored. Nothing excited me and nothing brought me excitement. Yes, many have said, that starting a family should bring you that excitement. I left a career to start my family and just didn't feel any satisfaction that an 'important job' would bring.

When my son was 1 year old, a good friend of mine, who happened to be the director of a family history center, invited me to be with her during her shift on Thursday nights. I was hooked the 1st day I was there. I felt like I had something to look forward to every week. It was my release, it brought me joy and helped me to have joy in my family life too. With that said, I feel I could never turn my back on something that has helped me more in my life. It gave me purpose.

A year later I was working at the family history center as a staff member and then was called as a ward family history consultant. I loved it. I love technology and those together was a match made in heaven.

Two years after I started, our family moved and our new ward found out my background and soon after I was called as a ward family history consultant. I taught the Family History Sunday School class and soon was called as the Stake Family History Consultant. And in all this, in 2001 I was called as the Director of the San Bernardino, CA Stake Family History Center. I haven't looked back.

It has been very enjoyable, I have learned a lot and continue to learn nearly every day. Now our stake is getting ready for the roll-out of the New FamilySearch in our temple district. I have been privileged to be apart of the beta testing for the past 2 years and we are about to go live with it any day now.

I hope and pray that this blog will be a teaching tool for those wanting to learn their family history and let technology be a part of that process. I debated for a while of whether or not to have a blog, but felt that my training emails that I would send out to my consultants, would be good to have them saved and searchable. So hence the title; To be or not to be a Blog.... That was the question, now it is a reality. I hope you enjoy it.


No comments: